Friday, November 14, 2008

My time with Les Brown



Recently, I had an opportunity to listen to one of my favorite authors and speakers, Les Brown.

It was a FANTASTIC experience, but nothing would prepare me for what happened. I was walking around after the event and (by a stroke of luck or fate) ran RIGHT INTO LES!! What was even more LUCKY was the fact that I had his book "Live Your Dreams" in my travel pack. Talk about being at the RIGHT PLACE at the RIGHT TIME!!!!

I quickly grabbed my book out of my pack and said, "Mr. Brown, I'm a huge fan of your work. Could you please sign YOUR book".

He looked at me with this look of surprise and looked down at my ORIGINAL FIRST COPIES of his book...he smiled and said, "I can't believe you have that book...wow! That's THEE book." He opened the front cover and wrote: To Dan, LES Brown P.S. You are a Winner!

Here are a few things I learned from Les Brown that day (Write these down).

1. You have to have a game plan for being here. Empower yourself!!!
2. Our Life is God's gift to us...How we live our lives is our gift to God.
3. Learn how to tell your story!! Your voice is your calling card
4. Put your money where your mouth is
5. Help people overcome "opportunity blindness" and "possibility blindness"
6. You might be through with your past...but is your past through with you? (Do some things still haunt you?)
7. Somebodies OPINION of you does not have to become your REALITY!
8. Find a coach with a proven track record
9. Get grounded! Sometimes things go up, sometimes things go down..you need to work on YOU! If you are a bum on the street when the DOW JONES comes down..what do you care? You're still a bum!! Change that.
10. Be a thermostat not a thermometer. Thermometers CHECK the temperature, thermostats SET the temperature.
11. Listen to motivation everyday! Read motivation everyday! Why? Because if you don't program your mind...your mind will get programmed! Stop watching so much negative T.V.!!!
12. Get Busy...and Walk Fast! "In life you are either ON THE WAY or IN THE WAY!!
13. There is no success with out successors. Learn from the great ones. Why? Because success leaves clues.
14. "We have all been misled with "Opportunity knocks. That's a lie. Opportunity does not knock, it stands by silently waiting for you to recognize it."

Thank You Les

No comments: